Buck’s Upper Mill — Bucksville, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Horry County | Buck’s Upper Mill
Buck’s Upper Mill is located along the Waccamaw River in Bucksville, a small unincorporated community just outside of Conway. Both Bucksville and the neighboring town of Bucksport are named for Captain Henry Buck, a native of Maine who moved to South Carolina in 1820.
The brick chimney pictured above is all that remains of the first steam-powered lumber mill in the Southeast. Completed in 1828, Buck’s Upper Mill was the first of three sawmills built by Henry Buck. Buck’s lumber production grew steadily, and by 1838 he had established Buck’s Middle Mill. It was here that Buck constructed a small fleet of ships which helped carry his lumber to Georgetown and Charleston. A third mill, Buck’s Lower Mill, was completed in Bucksport a short time later and quickly became a center for commerce and trade in Horry County.
Many thanks to Joanna Thurman for sharing this picture and historical information.
Buck’s Upper Mill Info
Address: 105 Upper Mill Drive, Conway, SC 29527
GPS Coordinates: 33.738978,-79.063212
You may not use them in any form without written consent.