Old Lebanon Church — Winnsboro, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Fairfield County | Old Lebanon Church
These stone ruins stand isolated on a dirt road in Winnsboro. They are the remains of the original Lebanon Presbyterian Church, organized in 1774 near the banks of Jackson Creek. In fact, the church was initially called Jackson Creek, in honor of its location. A hewn log structure served as the congregation’s first sanctuary. By 1780 a stone church – the ruins of which are seen here – had replaced the original, leading to the sobriquet Stone Church.
The stone church served the congregation for over a century, but it was eventually deemed unsafe. The congregation moved to the current site in 1893, and the name of the church likely changed to Lebanon Presbyterian at that time. Today, the site is referred to as both Old Lebanon Church and Old Stone Church.
The graveyard at Old Lebanon contains many “signature stones,” or headstones that were signed by the artist who made them. You can learn more about these stones, and see more pictures of the ruins and grounds, at Tom Taylor’s Random Connections website.
More Pictures of the Old Lebanon Church
Old Lebanon Church Info
Address: Old Airport Road, Winnsboro, SC 29180
GPS Coordinates: 34.389735,-81.179668
Old Lebanon Church Map