Bethany Cemetery — Charleston, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Charleston County | Bethany Cemetery
This chapel sits within the 55-acre Bethany Cemetery north of the Charleston peninsula and adjacent to historic Magnolia Cemetery. Owned and maintained by St. Matthew’s Evangelical Lutheran Church downtown, the land was purchased by the church in 1856 when its first cemetery on Reid Street – called Hampstedt Cemetery – reached maximum capacity during a yellow fever outbreak.
Hampstedt Cemetery was sold at auction and divided into lots in the 1930s when assessments were not paid for a street paving project. When the Charleston Housing Authority purchased the Hampstedt Cemetery property in 1981, the department had no idea the land contained human remains. After it begun site-preparation work, the graves were discovered, and the Housing Authority relocated 437 graves to Bethany Cemetery in 2009.
Though Bethany Cemetery is affiliated with the Lutheran congregation, people of all denominations are interred at the cemetery. The cemetery is well-known for its Victorian-era funerary art, as seen on its headstones and monuments.
More Pictures of Bethany Cemetery
Bethany Cemetery Info
Address: 10 Cunnington Avenue, Charleston, SC 29405
GPS Coordinates: 32.815377,-79.947790
Bethany Cemetery Map