Walter Scott Montgomery House — Spartanburg, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Spartanburg County | Walter Scott Montgomery House
The Walter Scott Montgomery House in downtown Spartanburg was built in 1909 for textile magnate Walter Scott Montgomery. Montgomery was the son of the textile plant’s founder, Captain John H. Montgomery. Walter Montgomery became president of Spartan Mills in 1902 following the death of his father. He was also named treasurer and manager of Laurens Cotton Mill in 1904.
Spartan Mills began operations in 1890. When Walter Montgomery died in 1929, his son, named Walter Scott Montgomery, Sr., took over and ran the mill as president until 1973. At that time his son, Walter S. Montgomery, Jr., took over the title. Walter Montgomery, Sr. then served as board chairman until his death in 1996. (Please note: The naming patterns used in this family were unconventional. For unknown reasons, the original Walter Scott Montgomery named his son Walter Scott Montgomery, Senior instead of Walter Scott Montgomery, Junior. That son in turn named his own son Walter Scott Montgomery, Junior instead of Walter Scott Montgomery, III.)
Spartan Mills operated until 2001. It was demolished, save for a lone chimney, and the former mill site is now the location of the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Walter Scott Montgomery House is used as a commercial building.
The Walter Scott Montgomery House is listed in the National Register:
The Walter Scott Montgomery House, located in a commercially-developed area of Spartanburg, is a two-and-one-half-story, brick-veneer residence built in 1909 for Walter Scott Montgomery. Plans were drawn by George F. Barber, Architect, of Knoxville, Tennessee, and the contractor was the Fiske-Carter Construction Company of Spartanburg. The Colonial Revival style residence has seen very few alterations since its construction, and has integrity of location, design, materials, craftsmanship, feeling and association. Much of Pine Street around the Montgomery House has seen modern commercial development; however, the house itself retains its large landscaped lot.
The house is typical of the type called “Classical Colonial” by Barber. The building is of frame construction with a yellow brick veneer and a red tile roof. In addition to its design, the Walter Scott Montgomery House is significant for its craftsmanship. The intricate and elegant plaster ornamentation, the detailing of the portico, and the leaded glass in the entrances are especially noteworthy. The property includes a one-story, reinforced concrete auto garage that was built before 1923.
Walter Scott Montgomery House Info
Address: 314 South Pine Street, Spartanburg, SC 29307
GPS Coordinates: 34.9479,-81.91598