Bonham House — Saluda County, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Saluda County | Bonham House
The Bonham House, also called Flat Grove, was built in 1780 in Saluda and was owned by Sophie Smith Bonham. Her husband, James Bonham, fought in the Revolutionary War. Her son, James Butler Bonham, became a South Carolina hero for his brave battle at the Alamo. Read more about Bonham and all of South Carolina’s Heros of the Alamo.
Since James Bonham died at the Alamo, his younger brother Milledge Bonham inherited the house. Milledge Bonham was a South Carolina State Legislator, a United States Representative, a Civil War general, and governor of South Carolina.
The Bonham House (Flat Grove), ca. 1780, can be classified in a style of American folk architecture known as the “dogtrot,” a design that evolved from two equal units separated by a broad, open, central hall, that was usually later enclosed. The Bonham House is somewhat unusual in that it is two-storied, the second level originally accessible by a small stairway in the right front room. It is constructed of logs on fieldstone pillars; roof and floor joists are small bark covered logs. The house, also known as Flat Grove, was owned by Sophie Smith Bonham whose husband, James Bonham of Maryland, fought in the Revolution. It is believed they lived in the house when a son, James Butler Bonham, was born. He died at the Alamo. A younger son, Milledge L. Bonham was the next owner. He served in the South Carolina State Legislature, the United States House of Representatives, and was a general in the Civil War. During the war he was elected governor of South Carolina and served until 1864.
More Pictures of Bonham House
Bonham House Info
Address: Wrightman Road near Boyd Branch Road, Saluda, SC 29138
GPS Coordinates: 34.008314,-81.700081
Bonham House Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.