Coppock House — Newberry, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Newberry County | Coppock House
Sitting behind the Public Safety Complex in Newberry are three historical buildings – the Gauntt House (moved to the property in 1972), the Coppock House, and the Water and Lights building – the latter two of which can be seen here. The Coppock House, pictured below, was built around 1820 for prosperous dry goods merchant E.S. Coppock. Coppock entered the clothing business in 1858 and continued as a clothier after the Civil War. The home is considered one of the earliest in Newberry. It is a Classical Revival farmhouse and features the standard large porch and grand entrance doors. It was modified in 1855.
The Newberry Water and Lights building, seen below, stands directly next to the Coppock House. The Newberry Electric Light and Water Plant was built near here in 1897, along Scott’s Creek. This is the second building erected for the plant, built with a blue granite base and a brick second story. Its construction date is estimated between 1929 and 1935. It later became a storage facility for the city.
The buildings stand on five acres of former farm land and overlook downtown Newberry. In 1997 the City of Newberry leased the Coppock House for use as a museum operated by the Newberry County Museum Association. In 2005 the Museum Association merged with the Newberry County Historical Society to form the The Newberry County Historical and Museum Society.
The Newberry County Museum operates from within the Coppock House. Admission is free of charge, though donations are appreciated. The museum is open the first and third Saturday of the month from 1 to 4 PM. Special tours of the home for both groups and individuals can be arranged.
Coppock House Info
Address: 1503 Nance Street, Newberry, SC 29108
GPS Coordinates: 34.276884,-81.624124
Coppock House Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.