Clinton Depot — Clinton, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Laurens County | Clinton Depot
This replica brick archway is a reminder of the Clinton Depot, built here in 1908. The depot served passengers along the Columbia, Newberry, and Laurens Railroad, which was established in 1885 following the merger of the Laurens Railroad and the Greenville and Columbia Railroad. Clinton was one of around 25 stops on its 75-mile-long route from the Upstate to the Midlands.
The railroad was also called the Dutch Fork Line. The line was purchased by Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1924, though the company kept the original name until 1984. That year, the rail line was bought by CSX Railroad.
Though the original depot no longer welcomes rail travelers, this shelter graces the town square of Clinton as a reminder of its bustling railroad days.
Many thanks to Ann Helms for this photo and much of the above information.
Clinton Depot Info
Address: North Broad Street, Clinton, SC 29325
GPS Coordinates: 34.472993,-81.880431
You may not use them in any form without written consent.