Camp Creek Methodist Church — Great Falls, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Lancaster County | Camp Creek Methodist Church
Camp Creek Methodist Church in Lancaster was formed in 1798 by Bishop Francis Asbury, an English minister who traversed America in the late eighteenth century spreading Methodism. Bishop Asbury traveled on horseback, riding “circuits,” or preaching stops, where people could gather and hear his sermons. He is responsible for the formation of countless early Methodist churches in South Carolina.
Ten acres of land, which included a log meeting house for worship, were donated for this new church on July 10, 1798 by Middleton McDonald. At some point the log structure was replaced with another building, and between 1834 and 1835 the present hand-hewn church was built. Renovations were undertaken in 1952 and included moving the sanctuary 140 feet closer to the road. The congregation of Camp Creek Methodist Church remains active in this rural community of Lancaster County.
Camp Creek Methodist Church Info
Address: 4721 Great Falls Highway, Lancaster, SC 29720
GPS Coordinates: 34.618147,-80.853350
Camp Creek Methodist Church Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.