Edgefield First Baptist Church — Edgefield, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Edgefield County | Edgefield First Baptist Church
This church in downtown Edgefield began in 1823 as Edgefield Village Baptist Church and is associated with some of South Carolina’s more significant history within the denomination. Its first pastor was the Reverend Basil Manly, who led the congregation until 1826. During that same year the Furman Academy and Theological Institution was established in Edgefield as a result of efforts by the church. The Academy later became Furman University in Greenville.
Manly was succeeded in 1830 by Dr. William Bullein Johnson. Dr. Johnson was integral in organizing the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845, which was founded just across the Savannah River in Augusta, Georgia. Dr. Johnson served as the Southern Baptist Convention’s first president; at the time, the Convention represented more than 365,000 Baptists from throughout the South. Prior to the forming of the Southern Baptist Convention, Edgefield Baptist Church belonged to the General Baptist Convention.
The church’s first house of worship was a small wood-frame building that was torn down in 1888 to make room for a larger brick church. The second church building suffered a devastating fire when lightning struck its steeple on June 25, 1913. The church was destroyed as a result. The present church was built soon after the fire, and the first sermon delivered here took place on September 27, 1914. An educational building was added in 1948, and an activities building was erected on the church campus in 1978, reflecting the growth of the congregation.
Edgefield First Baptist Church Info
Address: 212 Church Street, Edgefield, SC 29824
GPS Coordinates: 33.791084,-81.927558
Edgefield First Baptist Church Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.