Walterboro Water Tower — Walterboro, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Colleton County | Walterboro Water Tower
The Walterboro Water Tower is a standpipe tower – or freestanding pipe providing water to an area – located in historic downtown Walterboro. Completed in 1915, this 133-foot tower provides the city with 100,000 gallons of water — it also serves as one of Colleton County‘s most interesting landmarks.
This tower, the Belton Standpipe in Anderson County, and the standpipe in Allendale are the only standpipe towers in the state. The lower portion of the tower was used as the city’s jail for a short time in the early 1900s, according to local lore (seen below). It is said that later, the jail cells were offered to stranded travelers in need of a place to stay for the night.
More Pictures of Walterboro Water Tower
The Walterboro Water Tower is included in the National Register as part of the Walterboro Historic District:
The Walterboro Historic District is a significant collection of properties located near the center of the town of Walterboro. The majority of the properties in the district were constructed between ca.1800 and ca.1945 and represent a wide range of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular design. The district is primarily residential in character, but also includes religious, educational, and public buildings. The visual appearance of the district reflects the historical development of the town, which was one of several South Carolina pineland villages settled during the early nineteenth century by planters in search of a healthful climate.
Walterboro Water Tower Info
Address: North Memorial Avenue at East Washington Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
GPS Coordinates: 32.902347,-80.662297