Paul Hamilton Fripp House — Walterboro, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Colleton County | Paul Hamilton Fripp House
People visiting historic Walterboro might do a double – or triple – take when they see this Greek Revival house. The antebellum home was built in 1848 by local builder O.T. Canady, whose historic home also graces the area. It was purchased in 1863 by Paul Hamilton Fripp. Distinguishing features of the home include the Greek key frieze on the entablature and a symmetrical five-bay facade with a central door. The house is very similar in appearance to two identical, adjacent houses, the Wichman Houses. Those twin houses were built in 1889.
The Fripp house stayed in the Fripp family for decades. Today the home serves as an office.
The Paul Hamilton Fripp House is listed in the National Register as part of the Walterboro Historic District:
The Walterboro Historic District is a significant collection of properties located near the center of the town of Walterboro. The majority of the properties in the district were constructed between ca.1800 and ca.1945 and represent a wide range of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular design. The district is primarily residential in character, but also includes religious, educational, and public buildings. The visual appearance of the district reflects the historical development of the town, which was one of several South Carolina pineland villages settled during the early nineteenth century by planters in search of a healthful climate.
Paul Hamilton Fripp House Info
Address: 111 South Walter Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
GPS Coordinates: 32.901679,-80.665984
You may not use them in any form without written consent.