South Carolina Picture Project

Downtown Walterboro — Walterboro, South Carolina


SC Picture Project  |  Colleton County  |  Downtown Walterboro

Walterboro is located in southern South Carolina near the junction of US 17A and I-95. It was established as a village as early as 1784 when several Lowcountry planters built summer retreats here. The town’s earliest settlers initially called the community Hickory Valley until changing its name to Walterborough in honor of its founders, brothers Paul and Jacob Walter. The town became the county seat of Colleton County in 1817; some sources claim it became the county seat in 1822, the year the courthouse was completed. Walterboro also received its first United States Post Office in 1822. Archibald Campbell served as the town’s postmaster. In 1829 the post office shortened the town’s spelling to “Walterboro.”

Downtown Walterboro

Benton Henry of Latta, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

In 1820 Walterboro received a library, affectionately called Little Library, which still stands today as the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society. The addition of the library gave the town a reputation for valuing education, which in turn attracted more people to the hamlet. In the 1880s, the Atlantic Coast Railroad added a rail line to Walterboro which further vitalized the community. By 1915 the town’s street lamps had been updated with electricity.

Walterboro Library Society Building

Benton Henry of Latta, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

A plaza, seen below, was added to the downtown area in 1985 as part of the city’s redevelopment project. Led by then-mayor Elton L. Culpepper, the plaza features a concrete waterfall, benches, and an open space.

Washington Street Plaza

Benton Henry of Latta, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

The plaza also features a veterans’ war memorial, erected in 1990. It consists of four granite slabs attached to the left wall. Each slab is dedicated to one war, and plans are in place for a fifth panel to honor those who have fallen since Vietnam. The inscription on the main memorial reads:

Short and tall, rich and poor, black and white, farmer and shopkeeper – they came from every walk of life. The men and women of Colleton County have always answered the call to defend the flag and protect our freedom. They have done this without hesitation during times of conflict and peace. They gave their all for God and country. We owe them a great debt.

Colleton County Veterans Memorial

Benton Henry of Latta, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Today Walterboro is a modern community with an historic flair. It is home to more than 5,000 residents who take advantage of the town’s many offerings, including the Colleton Museum and Farmers Market. The South Carolina Artisans Center is also located in Walterboro, showcasing more than 300 South Carolina artists and demonstrations.

Walterboro Marker

Benton Henry of Latta, 2017 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

As Colleton’s county seat, downtown Walterboro boasts many historic buildings, including the Old Colleton County Jail. Restaurants, churches, and antebellum homes also pepper the streets of downtown Walterboro, giving the town its nickname, “The Front Porch of the Lowcountry.”

Walterboro Clock

Andy Hunter of North Augusta, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent

Last but not least, Walterboro is noted for its water tower, one of just three remaining standpipe towers in South Carolina, as shown in the image above and below; its base also served as the local jail. (The others include the Allendale Water Tower and Belton Standpipe.)

Standpipe Water Tower Walterboro

Andy Hunter of North Augusta, 2014 © Do Not Use Without Written Consent


Downtown Walterboro Info


Address: East Washington Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
GPS Coordinates: 32.902857,-80.664192


Downtown Walterboro Map





Please Share Your Thoughts!


Did you enjoy this page? Do you have any information we should add? Send us your comments below — we can't wait to hear from you!






SC PICTURE PROJECT

Join Us on Facebook
Search for Landmarks

SC TOWNS & LANDMARKS

Abbeville ACE Basin Aiken Allendale Anderson Awendaw Bamberg Banks Barns & Farms Barnwell Batesburg-Leesville Beaches Beaufort Beech Island Belton Bennettsville Bishopville Blackville Bluffton Bridges Bygone Landmarks Camden Carnegie Libraries Cemeteries Charleston Charleston Navy Base Cheraw Chester Churches Clemson Clinton Clio Colleges Columbia Conway Cordesville Courthouses Darlington Denmark Dillon Donalds Easley Edgefield Edisto Elloree Fairfax Florence Folly Beach Forests and Nature Preserves Fort Mill Fountain Inn Gaffney Garden City Beach Georgetown Glenn Springs Graniteville Greeleyville Greenville Greenwood Greer Hamburg Hampton Hartsville Hemingway Hilton Head Historical Photos Historic Houses Honea Path Hopkins Huger Hunting Island Isle of Palms Jails James Island Jamestown Johns Island Johnsonville Johnston Kiawah Island Kingstree Lake City Lake Marion Lakes Lancaster Landrum Latta Laurens Lexington Libraries Lighthouses Little River Manning Marion McClellanville McCormick Military Mills Moncks Corner Mountains Mount Carmel Mount Pleasant Mullins Murrells Inlet Myrtle Beach National Register Newberry Ninety Six North Augusta North Charleston North Myrtle Beach Orangeburg Pacolet Parks Pawleys Island Pendleton Pickens Piers Pinopolis Plantations Pomaria Port Royal Post Offices Ravenel Restaurants Ridge Spring Ridgeway Rivers Roadside Oddities Robert Mills Rock Hill Rockville Rosenwald Schools Salters Saluda Savannah River Site SC Artists SC Heroes of the Alamo Schools Seneca Shrimp Boats Society Hill Spartanburg Sports Springs St. George St. Helena Island St. Matthews Stores Sullivan's Island Summerton Summerville Sumter Sunset Synagogues Town Clocks Trains & Depots Trees Trenton Turbeville Ulmer Union Wadmalaw Island Walhalla Walterboro Waterfalls Water Towers West Columbia Westminster Winnsboro Yemassee York