Bellinger House — Walterboro, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Colleton County | Bellinger House
This stately home in historic Walterboro was built in the early 1800s for the Bedon family. It was later acquired by the Bellingers, one of the area’s earliest families. Sir Edmund Bellinger arrived to the Colony of Carolina from Westmoreland County, England, in 1674. A royal surveyor, Bellinger was granted four baronies, including one in present-day Colleton County. In 1740 the town of Edmundsbury, which no longer exists, was laid out along the Ashepoo River. Today, Bellinger is a common name throughout Colleton County.
The Bellinger House has a tin roof and a symmetrical facade with a centered door and transom with sidelights. The two-story piers were added after 1931. Originally, the home had two tiers of porches which were removed and replaced with the pillars.
The Bellinger House is listed in the National Register as part of the Walterboro Historic District:
The Walterboro Historic District is a significant collection of properties located near the center of the town of Walterboro. The majority of the properties in the district were constructed between ca.1800 and ca.1945 and represent a wide range of nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular design. The district is primarily residential in character, but also includes religious, educational, and public buildings. The visual appearance of the district reflects the historical development of the town, which was one of several South Carolina pineland villages settled during the early nineteenth century by planters in search of a healthful climate.
Bellinger House Info
Address: 1009 Wichman Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
GPS Coordinates: 32.904715,-80.656649
You may not use them in any form without written consent.