Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church — Summerton, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Clarendon County | Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church
The Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church is located on Granby Lane, just off US 301 east of Summerton. The church serves a large congregation in the Summerton and surrounding areas.
After the Civil War, African-Americans were given the opportunity to worship as they pleased, but many in this area had no place to worship. The freed slaves began holding services under what was called a “Bush Arbor” up until the year 1885, when the white Baptist owners of this building offered to sell them this church, which was severely damaged by a fire and in need of repair. The local African-American Baptists bought this building and land on March 23, 1885 for $400.
Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church received its historical roadside marker in 1992.
Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church Info
Address: Granby Lane, Summerton, SC 29148
GPS Coordinates: 33.607841,-80.334634
Taw Caw Missionary Baptist Church Map