Heyward-Washington House — Charleston, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Charleston County | Heyward-Washington House
The Heyward-Washington House in historic Charleston is the city’s first house museum. The Georgian home was built between 1770 and 1772 by rice planter Daniel Heyward for his son, Thomas Heyward. Thomas Heyward was an artillery officer in the American Revolution, and more notably, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
President George Washington stayed here during his 1791 visit to the city. In 1929 the Charleston Museum purchased and restored the home. The museum then opened it to the public and still operates it today. Interestingly, a close replica of this house exists in the small South Carolina town of Winnsboro. There, the Ketchin Building houses the Fairfield County Historical Museum.
At the turn of the century the storied house was used as a bake shop called H.W. Fusler and Sons Bakery. The photo above shows the historic home selling baked goods. The sig in front of the shop says “Bakery-Confectioner.” The business was owned by Henry and Wilimena Fuseler.
The Heyward-Washington House is listed in the National Register:
The Heyward-Washington House is a very fine three-story brick Charleston “double house” which commemorates the residence of Thomas Heyward, Jr., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Built in 1770-71 and acquired by Thomas Heyward, Jr. from his father in 1777, the house was implicitly deemed outstandingly worthy when chosen in 1791 to shelter President Washington when he visited the city on his Southern tour that year. Since then, the house has been called the Heyward-Washington House.
Heyward was born in 1746 in Jasper County, South Carolina, the eldest son of one of the wealthiest rice planters of South Carolina. He was one of five delegates from South Carolina sent to the Second Continental Congress in 1776, signed the Declaration of Independence, and served in Congress until the end of 1778 when he returned to his home state to become a circuit judge.
The house presents a massive block appearance since it is nearly square in plan and has a low pitched hipped roof pierced by only a single dormer on the street front. The high chimneys are corbelled, and all windows are topped by brick jack arches. It is one of the largest of the early houses of Charleston. The “double house” plan is a local name used to identify the common Georgian “four room” or “center hall” floor plan. At the rear (west) of the house is a little courtyard, formed by the house, a kitchen/laundry/servant’s quarters building, and a carriage house. Further west is a small formal garden of the type popular in the late 18th century.
Reflections on the Heyward-Washington House
Contributor Kelly Lee Brosky shares her experience visiting the Heyward-Washington House:
“Being a small paranormal group, we take advantage of home tours to do impromptu paranormal investigations. We sat in the garden of this beautiful old house waiting for our tour to begin and inadvertently captured some of our best evidence! We also captured this amazing shot!”
Heyward-Washington House Info
Address: 87 Church Street, Charleston, SC 29403
GPS Coordinates: 32.775252,-79.929588
Heyward-Washington House Map