Circular Congregational Church — Charleston, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Charleston County | Circular Congregational Church
The Independent or Circular Congregational Church – originally called the White Meeting House – was founded around 1681 by a group of Charleston‘s earliest colonists. Its congregation comprised the city’s first non-Anglican church. Because members did not adhere to the Church of England, they were considered “dissenters” and forbidden to label their place of worship a church – only a meeting house.
The group included English Congregationalists, French Huguenots, and Scottish Presbyterians. The road leading to their meeting house was first known as Meeting House Street and is now known simply as Meeting Street, which remains one of downtown Charleston’s primary arteries.
In 1804, renowned architect Robert Mills designed a circular building made of bricks to replace the old wooden meeting house. That building was destroyed by a fire at the beginning of the Civil War, but in 1890 the bricks from the ruins were used to create the present church. The churchyard at Circular Congregational is the oldest in the city.
The photo below was taken by Dr. F.F. Sams, an esteemed doctor and photographer in the Charleston area, his photos were taken with a homemade camera. The image was contributed by his grandson and namesake, Franklin Sams. Much of Dr. Sams work can be seen in the archives of the Charleston Museum. The photo shows the Circular Congregational Church as it appeared during a snowstorm in 1903.
The Circular Congregational Church is listed in the National Register:
Built circa 1892 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the Circular Congregational Church is not truly circular as its name implies, but a more complex form like a clover leaf or “club” in a deck of cards. This form has four parts, three of which are semi-circular and the fourth rectangular. The clover leaf form contains the high, main auditorium. The rectangular “stem” is divided horizontally into two stories. The lower part is a rectangular meeting room and the upper part is a balcony overlooking the auditorium. The balcony is reached by a winding stair in an octagonal tower which is expressed on the exterior of the building. This is the third church to be built on these grounds. The word “circular” in the name of the church comes from an earlier building on the site by Robert Mills. The Parish House is a good example of a Greek Revival Temple form with one high story over a lower open arcade. Tetrastyle Tuscan columns support the Doric style entablature and pediment. Church services were held in the Parish House during the interim between the building of the first and second church.
More Pictures of Circular Congregational Church
Reflections on Circular Congregational Church
Many thanks to Diane Yale-Peabody of Amherst, Ohio, who took the photo above. Diane writes, “This back view of the church was taken from the cemetery in July 2005. Downtown historic Charleston can almost be traversed from one cemetery to another. This one is the oldest in the city, with one tombstone dating to 1690. The cemeteries are quiet places of beauty, not only for their intricate and curiously carved stones, but also for the overgrown paths and crepe myrtle trees. The cemeteries can also spark an interest in the city’s history. For example, those rows of children’s graves with dates spread over a few months are a poignant remembrance of the yellow fever epidemics that swept the South.”
Circular Congregational Church Info
Address: 150 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401
GPS Coordinates: 32.778943,-79.931040
Circular Congregational Church Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.