St. Nicholas Lutheran Church — Fairfax, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Allendale County | St. Nicholas Lutheran Church
St. Nicholas Lutheran Church in Fairfax may have been built in 1910, but its congregation goes back to the eighteenth century when early German settlers found their way to South Carolina. It is suspected that the congregation was associated with Mt. Pleasant Church in nearby Ehrhardt, which dates to 1750.
The congregation met in several previous locations before finding a permanent home. The church was not burned during the Civil War, but its records, which were likely kept in a parishioner’s home, may have been destroyed by fire. Thus, the specific history of the church and its prior buildings are not in tact. The earliest date attributed to the congregation is 1804. The current church was constructed of salvaged material from its predecessor, which was built in 1884.
St. Nicholas Lutheran Church is the mother church of Trinity Lutheran Church, organized in 1906 and also located in Fairfax.
St. Nicholas Lutheran Church Info
Address: 235 St. Nicholas Church Road, Fairfax, SC 29827
GPS Coordinates: 33.014013,-81.123659
St. Nicholas Lutheran Church Map