Harmony Baptist Church — Fairfax, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Allendale County | Harmony Baptist Church
The congregation of Harmony Baptist Church formed in Fairfax in 1830, with members holding services in a brush arbor, as was typical of early churches prior to the construction of a meetinghouse. The church formally organized in 1878 and was given the official name of Harmony Baptist Church by charter member Sarah Gooding.
Harmony Baptist became part of the Savannah River Association of Baptist Churches, an organization formed in 1813. This meeting house-style building was constructed in 1880 on land donated by member Josiah Loadholt. In 1899 it joined with three other local churches – Salkehatchie Baptist, Bethlehem Baptist, and Bethel Baptist – to form a pastoral field in which a single pastor would preach to members of all four churches twice a month, rotating church buildings. Today Harmony Baptist Church is affiliated with nearby Varnville Baptist Church, both of which belong to the Southern Baptist Convention.
Harmony Baptist Church Info
Address: 1636 Jenny's Road, Fairfax, SC 29827
GPS Coordinates: 33.007683,-81.169023
Harmony Baptist Church Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.