Erwin House — Allendale, South Carolina
SC Picture Project | Allendale County | Erwin House
This cottage-style farmhouse in rural Allendale was built around 1828 for Dr. William Robinson Erwin on his Erwinton Plantation. In 1827 Erwin was excommunicated from Kirkland Church, now Smyrna Baptist Church, for affiliating with the doctrine of other denominations. Also expelled from the church were his wife, Julia, and sister-in-law, Rachel Roberts. In response, Dr. Erwin founded Antioch Christian Church in the Disciples of Christ denomination. The newly-formed group met in the Erwin home for worship until the meeting house, which stands near the Erwin home, was built in 1835.
The farmhouse remained in the Erwin family until it was purchased by Houston Rawls in 1955. Rawls restored the residence, which had sat vacant since the Civil War, and used it as a winter home. Rawls sold the home in the 1960s to owners who converted the home and surrounding property into a popular hunting lodge.
The Erwin House is listed in the National Register :
(Erwinton Plantation & Hunting Club) Erwinton is a one and one-half story, white clapboard structure built upon a raised brick basement. It was constructed ca. 1828 by Dr. William Robinson Erwin. The front façade is characterized by three dormers and a piazza that extends its entire length as well as halfway down each of the side facades. Fourteen square wooden columns extend along the piazza, and similar pilasters ornament the corners of the house and frame the doorways. Erwinton is an example of Bahamian-influenced raised cottage style of architecture. This style was prevalent in the Southeast, particularly on the coast, during the nineteenth century. The dormers were added during the 1950s. Dr. William Erwin, the original owner of Erwinton, his wife and sister-in-law were all excommunicated from Kirkland Church in 1833 for their affiliation with other denominations. They then formed the second Christian congregation, the Disciples of Christ, in South Carolina. They held weekly meetings at Erwinton until 1835 when the present meeting house was completed and dedicated as Antioch Christian Church.
Erwin House Info
Address: 4829 River Road, Allendale, SC 29810
GPS Coordinates: 32.957016,-81.415744
Erwin House Map
You may not use them in any form without written consent.